The exports of renowned Kampot pepper, one of Cambodia’s only two products to be registered as a Geographical Indication in the European Union, had increased sharply in 2021, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, a farmers’ representative said today.

Ngoun Lay, president of the Kampot Pepper Promotion Association, said, the nation exported 114 tonnes of Kampot pepper last year, up 63 percent from 70 tonnes in the year before.

“It was unprecedented that we could export up to 114 tonnes last year,” he said. “The growth was driven by high demand from the European market.”

Lay said, 85 percent of the pepper was shipped to the EU and the remaining 15 percent was sold to other countries, including the United States, Canada, China, Japan, and South Korea, among others.

He said, Kampot pepper comes in three varieties – black, red and white – selling for 15 U.S. dollars, 25 dollars and 28 dollars per kilogram, respectively.

Located in the south-western region, the coastal province of Kampot has some 240 hectares of pepper farms, he said, adding that, a hectare yields an average of 2.5 tonnes per annum and the harvest season runs from Mar to June.

Renowned for its delicate aroma and strong spicy taste, Kampot pepper, the country’s Geographical Indication product since 2010, is currently popular on the EU market, he said.

“We hope that our export this year will continue to rise because so far, we have already received the purchase orders of 80 tonnes,” he said.–

Source: NAM News Network

Related Post

Categories

Monthly Archives